Here are my top 10 albums of 2012:
- Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
The most complete album of the year. Frank writes and sings from the heart.
Highlight: Pink Matter
- Santigold - Master of My Make-Believe
She is unbelievably talented. Writes and produces some of the most unique pop music (if you want to call it that) around.
Highlight: This Isn’t Our Parade
- Nas - Life Is Good
The best Hip Hop album of the year. Enough said.
Highlight: World’s An Addiction
- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - The Heist
Though the album can sound a bit repetitive at times, Macklemore’s lyrics are heartfelt and touch your soul.
Highlight: Same Love
- Lana Del Rey - Born To Die
She’s fairly new on the scene, but her voice is so distinctive that I’m predicting she will be a main stay in the music business for some time to come.
- Big Boi - Vicious Lies and Dangerous Rumors
The best year end gift of 2012. Big Boi’s album is a joy to listen to from start to finish.
- The xx - Coexist
The best band of 2009 released their sophomore album. More of the same, which is fabulous.
- Beach House - Bloom
Best dream pop album of the year. These guys are pros.
I love how he sings; his style oozes passion. Reminds me of Michael Jackson.
Highlight: Are You Free
- Michael Kiwanuka - Home Again
Next to Frank Ocean, he’s the 2nd best song writer of 2012. I’m really looking forward to hearing more of his music in the years to come.
Highlight: Home Again
Other notable musical notes from 2012:
- Through his production, Diplo completely killed 2012 without dropping a full album. Highlights: Get Free, Climax
- Greats who passed away: Adam “MCA” Yauch, Dave Brubeck
- Impressed but not enough to make the top 10: Metric - Synthetica, Alabama Shakes - Boys & Girls, Sharon Van Etten - Tramp, St. Lucia - St. Lucia, The Chromatics - Kill For Love, Twin Shadow - Confess, Hot Chip - In Our Heads